How do I submit a group Canada eTA application?

with No Comments
How do I submit a group Canada eTA application?

Submitting a group application for eTA’s is unfortunately not possible. You will have to submit an application for every individual member of your group. For example, if you are two parents and two children, you must submit every application on its own, and pay the relevant fee in each case.

My group will consist of both family members and friends. How can I help each one to get an eTA?

As we mentioned above, everyone who wants to visit Canada has to apply from outside the country before they commence their journey.

What your family member or friend requires depends on the following:

  • the kind of travel document he or she will be travelling with
  • in which country this travel document was issued
  • how they intend to arrive in Canada, i.e. by plane, train, road, etc.
  • what nationality they are

It is important first to find out exactly what travel documents or documents they will need before they apply.

If he or she, for example, requires a visitor visa, you could help them to get a letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada. Please note, however, that while such a letter of invitation can help them with their application, it is in no way a guarantee that the individual in question will get a visa.

Will each one of us have to apply for both an eTA and a visitor visa?

No. If you and your family members or friends want to travel to Canada, you will require either an eTA or a visitor visa, not both.

Which of the two you will have to apply for once again depends on your type of travel document, by which country it was issued, and how you will arrive in Canada; for example, whether you will arrive by plane or overland and whether or not all of you are from a country that has been exempted from applying for a visa and therefore qualifies for an eTA.

To summarize, which one you have to apply for depends on:

  • the type of travel document that you will be travelling with
  • the country that issued your travel document
  • your nationality, and
  • how you will be travelling to Canada

If you are a citizen of any of the following countries you do not have to apply for a visa. You should apply for an eTA instead, which is quicker and involves less red tape:

Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Uruguay, United Kingdom

To apply for an eTA, you should have a valid passport, credit card, and email address. You can submit an online application at the Government of Canada website: At the time of writing in July 2023, the application fee is CAD 7.

Once your eTA application has been approved, it will be linked to your passport and will be valid for up to 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever happens first. If you have a valid eTA, you will be allowed to visit Canada as often as you would like to for short periods (normally for no longer than six months at a time).

Please note that you may still be required to apply for a visa if you are planning to study, work, or live in Canada for longer than six months. You should check with the Government of Canada website: to check whether or not you require a visa for your specific purpose of travel.

How long before my trip commences should I apply for a Canadian eTA? Why?

We recommend that you apply for a Canadian eTA at least 72 hours before your trip starts. This should give you enough time to apply and get your approved eTA. If you apply for an eTA too close to your departure to Canada, there is a very real risk that your application might not be processed in time and that you will, therefore, not be able to travel to Canada.

Below are more reasons why you should rather apply for a Canadian eTA as early as possible:

It takes time to process applications. While the processing time for eTA applications can vary, it is normally within 72 hours. There is, however, always a chance that an application may take longer than 72 hours to process, particularly if you are requested to provide additional information about something that is not clear to the authorities (see below)

You may be asked to provide additional information. In some cases, you may be asked to give more information or to provide additional documentation, such as a copy of your passport or a letter from your employer, to support your eTA application. This can significantly add to the processing time.

There is a risk of delays. There may be unexpected delays in the processing of your eTA application, for example, staff shortages or system outages. If you leave your eTA application until too close to your trip, there is a risk that it can not be processed in time, in which case you will not be able to travel to Canada at the planned time.

To avoid any last-minute surprises, it is best to apply for an eTA as early as possible. This will give you peace of mind knowing that your application is in process and you will be able to travel to Canada without any issues.

When do I have to apply for a visa and not an eTA to visit Canada?

If you are a citizen of a nation that does not appear on the list of countries that can visit Canada with an eTA (sea earlier in this article), you will have to submit an application for a visa. You will also be required to apply for a visa if you are planning to stay in Canada for a period of longer than six months.

The application process for a visa is typically more complex than the one for an eTA. You will have to provide more information, including info about your travel history and your financial status. You may also need to attend a personal interview at the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate.

The current application fee for a visa is CAD 100 (in July 2023). You will be able to pay this amount by debit card or credit card.

Once your visa application has been approved and processed, you will get a visa sticker on your passport. You will have to carry this passport on you when you travel to Canada.

If my plans change and I decide to withdraw my application for a Canadian eTA, will I get a refund?

No, you will not get a refund if you withdraw your application for a Canadian eTA. The application fee is strictly non-refundable.

This is because this fee is used to cover the costs of processing your application, including the cost of verifying your identity and checking your security clearance. Once your application has been processed, even if it is withdrawn, these costs cannot be recovered. which is why you can not be refunded.

I am from one of the visa-exempt countries, and I would like to apply for a work or study permit. Do I also have to apply for an eTA?

No, there is no need to apply for an eTA if you’re from a visa-exempt country and you would like to apply for a study or work permit. You will only need to apply for an eTA if you plan to travel to Canada by air before your study or work permit is approved.

If you are from a visa-exempt country and you are applying for a study or work permit from your own country, you will be issued an eTA automatically once your permit is approved. You don’t have to apply for an eTA or pay extra fees. Your eTA number will be included in the letter of introduction the Canadian authorities will send you when your study or your work permit is approved. Keep this number ready just in case you have to contact them about your eTA at a later stage.

I applied for an eTA online more than 72 hours ago, and I have not yet received an email confirmation showing my application number

If you have still not received an email confirmation with your application number within three days (72 hours) after you applied, you should immediately fill out the web form at the following URL: As part of the process, you will first have to supply certain basic info. Then, under “Type of application”, choose “Electronic Travel Authorization”, and after that “Case Specific Enquiries”.

Give as much detail as possible about the issue(s) you have encountered. Please note that it can take up to a few days before you get a response to your inquiry.

This is one of the reasons why we do not recommend that you postpone applying for an eTA at an airport, just before you are about to board your flight to Canada. If you do this, and your application is not approved in time for you to board your flight, you will have no other choice than to reschedule your departure. This may cause unforeseen delays and costs.