Do I need a visa or eTA for Winnipeg?

with No Comments
Do I need a visa or eTA for Winnipeg?

Whether you need an eTA, visa, or just your passport to visit Winnipeg in Manitoba, Canada will to a large extent, depend on your mode of transport, your country of citizenship, the purpose of your trip, and the documents you will be travelling with.

If you are an international traveller who would like to visit the region for business purposes or as a tourist for a maximum period of 6 months at a time, all you might need is your passport and an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization). If visitors from your country do not qualify for an eTA, you will need a visitor visa though. (See the relevant sections below for more information on these topics).

Note: If you have already been issued a Canadian visitor visa, there is no reason to apply for an eTA as well. You will be able to visit Winnipeg with your visa as long as it remains valid.

If there is an unexpected change in your travel plans, and you decide to enter Canada by bus, train, or boat instead, you will need a visa because an eTA is only valid for entry by plane.

U.S. Citizens

Anyone who is a citizen of the U.S. needs only a proper form of identification, like a United States passport, to be allowed into Canada.

What if I am a lawful permanent U.S. resident?

Starting April 26, 2022, everyone who is a legal permanent resident of the U.S. has to show the following documents, irrespective of their mode of transport when entering Canada:

– a valid passport issued by their country of citizenship or its equivalent
– a green card that has not expired or a similar form of proof of their status in the U.S.

Travellers from the following countries qualify to apply for an eTA

Individuals from any of the countries on the following list can apply for an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) if they plan to travel to Canada.

  • Vatican City State
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Taiwan
  • Solomon Islands
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Samoa
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Romania (electronic passport holders only)
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Malta
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Liechtenstein
  • Latvia
  • Luxembourg
  • Lithuania
  • Ireland
  • Iceland
  • Israel (must have a national Israeli passport)
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Hungary
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR)
  • Greece
  • Germany
  • France
  • Finland
  • France
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Bulgaria
  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Andorra

eTA exemptions

Foreign nationals with official Canadian documents

  • Travellers with a valid Canadian visa.
  • Travellers with valid status in Canada (e.g. a student, visitor, or worker) who re-enters Canada after only visiting St. Pierre and Miquelon and/or the United States.

Foreign nationals in any of the following circumstances:

  1. French citizens who are living in Saint Pierre and Miquelon and are flying directly from there to Canada.
  2. Who are passengers on a flight to or from the United States that just stops in Canada to refuel.
  3. Who have the required documentation to enter the U.S., or
  4. Who were legally admitted to the U.S.
  5. Who just happen to be passengers on board a flight that makes an unplanned stop in Canada.
  6. Who are transiting through a Canadian airport under the China Transit Program or Transit Without Visa.

Official and travel representatives

  1. Aviation inspectors, flight crew members, or civil accident investigators who will be or are already working while in Canada
  2. Armed forces members (excluding the civilian section of the armed forces) of a nation that has been designated under the Visiting Forces Act arriving in Canada to perform official duties
  3. Diplomats that have received accreditation from the Canadian Government

Travellers who require visas

The following types of travellers require a visa to enter Canada by any means of transport, including but not limited to planes, trains, buses, cars, or cruise ships.

  • Nationals of Zimbabwe, Zambia, Yemen, Vietnam, Venezuela, Vanuatu, Uzbekistan, Uruguay, Ukraine, Uganda, Tuvalu, Turkmenistan, Turkey, Tunisia, Trinidad and Tobago, Tonga, Togo, Thailand, Tanzania, Tajikistan, Taiwan, Syria, Swaziland, Surinam, Sudan, St. Vincent and the Grenadines (St. Vincent), St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, Sri Lanka, South Sudan, South Africa, Somalia, Sierra Leone, Seychelles, Serbia, Senegal, Saudi Arabia, Kingdom of, Sao Tomé e Principe, Rwanda, Russia, Romania (holder of a non-electronic passport, such as a temporary passport), Qatar, Philippines, Peru, Paraguay, Panama, Palestinian Authority, Palau, Pakistan, Oman, North Macedonia, Nigeria, Niger, Nicaragua, Nepal, Nauru, Namibia, Mozambique, Morocco, Montenegro, Mongolia, Moldova, Micronesia
  • Fed. States, Mauritius, Mauritania, Marshall Islands, Mali, Maldives Islands, Malaysia, Malawi, Madagascar, Macao Special Administrative Region, Libya, Liberia, Lesotho, Lebanon, Laos, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Kosovo, Korea, North, Kiribati, Kenya, Kazakhstan, Jordan, Jamaica, Ivory Coast, Israel (must have a valid Israeli “Travel Document in lieu of National Passport”), Iraq, Iran, Indonesia, India, Honduras, Haiti, Guyana, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Guatemala, Grenada, Ghana, Georgia, Gambia, Gabon, Fiji, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Equatorial Guinea, El Salvador, Egypt, Ecuador, East Timor, Dominican Republic, Dominica, Djibouti, Cuba, Costa Rica – Republic of, Congo – Republic of, Congo – Democratic Republic of, Comoros, Colombia, China, People’s Republic of, Chad, Central African Republic, Cape Verde, Republic of, Cameroon, Cambodia, Burundi, Burma (Myanmar), Burkina Faso, Brazil (note: some Brazilian citizens may be eligible for an eTA if they meet certain requirements), Botswana, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bolivia, Bhutan, Benin, Belize, Belarus, Bangladesh, Bahrain, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Argentina, Antigua and Barbuda, Angola, Algeria, Albania, Afghanistan.

Note: Stateless individuals and individuals who hold Alien passports.

Winnipeg tourist information

Winnipeg is the biggest city in Manitoba, Canada. This is a very civilized city with a solid economy, making it an ideal tourist or business destination. It is renowned for its unique winter experiences, colourful festivals, thriving cultural scene, and characterful neighbourhoods – as well as its many lush green areas and outdoor activities.

Some of the top tourist attractions in and around Winnipeg include:

The Canadian Museum for Human Rights: This museum is dedicated to examining the subject of human rights with a specific focus on Canada. It is situated in downtown Winnipeg and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city.

Assiniboine Park Zoo: This zoo is home to more than 200 species of animals from across the world. It is also situated in the heart of Winnipeg and is a particularly popular place to visit among families with children.

The Forks: This historical site is located at the junction of the Assiniboine and Red Rivers. It boasts a market, shops, restaurants, and several entertainment venues.

Winnipeg also boasts a rich cultural heritage that is reflected in its culinary scene. Some of the most popular dishes in town include bannock (a type of bread), perogies (dumplings filled with potatoes and cheese), and pickerel (a type of fish). The city also has a thriving craft beer scene, with many local breweries producing delicious and unique beers.

It has a humid continental climate with cold winters and warm summers. The average temperature in July is 19°C (66°F), while the average temperature in January is -13°C (9°F). The city receives an average of 520mm (20 inches) of snowfall during the average year.

Business travel to Winnipeg

Winnipeg is home to a diverse range of businesses across various industries. It has a solid economy and is recognized as one of the most affordable cities in Canada to run a business.

The World Trade Centre in Winnipeg provides a variety of resources to help the business community. These resources include “how-to” guides for starting a new business, applying for business grants and loans, finding new business partners, and more.

The city also has a comprehensive directory of local business listings that can be found online at This can be a very handy resource for individuals who would like to contact local businesses from a certain sector with the aim of creating mutually beneficial business relationships.

Accommodation options in Winnipeg

There are many different accommodation options available in Winnipeg to suit all budgets and needs.

Some of the most popular hotels in the city include the Fort Garry Hotel, the Radisson Hotel Winnipeg Downtown, and the Fairmont Winnipeg. These hotels offer a variety of amenities, including on-site restaurants, bars, and fitness centers. They are also situated in convenient locations, close to many of Winnipeg’s tourist attractions.

For those who are looking for a more budget-friendly option, there are also various motels and bed and breakfasts available in Winnipeg. These accommodations are typically located a bit further from the downtown area, but they offer a clean and comfortable place to stay without breaking the bank.

If you are looking for a unique accommodation option, there are also quite a few Airbnb and vacation rentals available in Winnipeg. They can be found in various neighbourhoods and, generally speaking, offer a more home-like experience.