How do I withdraw a Canada eTA application?

with No Comments
How do I withdraw a Canada eTA application?

Is it possible to withdraw an eTA application after you have submitted it, and if so, how does one go about doing it?

The answer to the first part of the question is yes, you can withdraw your eTA application if there is an unexpected change in your travel plans.

In order to withdraw the application, there is a specific web form to complete. See the link in the last paragraph of this article.

You will need to have the following information ready:

  • The application number that was sent to you after you submitted the eTA application.
  • Your date of birth, where you were born, and your full name.

Please be aware that the Canadian authorities will not refund the application fee. In the majority of instances, an eTA application is approved within a couple of minutes. You will most likely, therefore, get the approval notice before your cancellation request can be processed. If this happens, whether you like it or not, you will continue to have an approved eTA

Why have I not received a single email from the IRCC regarding my eTA application?

In the majority of cases, an applicant will get the eTA approval notice via email within a few minutes after sending in the application form. In certain cases, however, it could take a few days for the application to be processed.

If this happens to you, don’t worry too much. You should get an email within 3 days after submitting the application telling you exactly what you need to do to get your application processed. These could include:

  • provide additional documents or information
  • go for a personal interview at your nearest Canadian consulate or embassy

The moment you get such an email, you will be able to use the eTA Check Status tool to check your application’s progress. In order to use this tool, you should have the following ready:

  • the application number mentioned at the top of the email. It starts with a ‘V.’
  • the details of the passport that you used in the application.

If you do not get an email confirmation with the application number mentioned above within 3 days (72 hours) of submitting an eTA application, you should fill out the necessary web form. In the process, you will have to do the following:

  • under the heading ‘Type of Application’ choose Electronic Travel Authorization” from the drop-down menu, followed by “Case specific enquiries”.
  • Give as much information as possible. It will typically take a few days before you get an answer.

Important: While waiting for a reply, check your email account’s junk folder from time to time to make sure your spam filter isn’t blocking the reply.

I might have been scammed. I applied for a Canadian eTA on another website, and they charged me more than $7 CAD. How can I confirm this and apply for a refund?

You might simply have stumbled upon a legitimate 3rd-party website that charges an additional amount for their services. While these firms do not act on behalf of the Canadian authorities, they sometimes give valuable information and then charge an additional fee to submit your eTA application to the Canadian Government.

The Canadian authorities will, however, not issue a refund for the additional fees you have paid to any 3rd party website.

The first thing you need to do is to check that you have a valid eTA. For this, you can go to the Canadian eTA website and find the eTA Check Status Tool. Then provide the following info:

  • application number
  • details of the passport that you used in your application, including the passport number, the country where it was issued, the date on which it was issued, and the date on which it expires.

Once you have provided this information, you will be taken to a screen that shows all the details related to your eTA. This is where you will be able to see if you have a valid eTA with which you will be allowed to visit Canada.

If more than 72 hours have passed since you submitted your application and you still do not see details of your approved eTA, or there is an error message when you try to check your status, there is an enquiry form you should complete. Please note that it can take a couple of days before you get a reply.

If you get a reply from the Canadian authorities that confirms that they have not received any application in your name, you should proceed with the following steps:

  • if you are currently in Canada, contact that country’s Anti-Fraud Centre or call the following toll-free number: 1-888-495-8501.
  • if you are not in Canada, contact your nearest police station.

If my approved eTA is cancelled for some other reason, will I still be able to travel to Canada?

It is possible for an eTA to be cancelled in a situation where it, for example, becomes clear that you are no longer admissible to Canada. If this happens, your eTA will be cancelled by a Canadian immigration officer. He or she will then inform you of this via email.

If your approved eTA is ever cancelled, you should immediately also cancel your travel plans. If you try to board a flight destined for that country, you will not be allowed to do so.

Once you have taken care of the issues that caused your eTA to be cancelled, you can always reapply again.

Do I have to apply for an eTA as well as a visa?

The answer here is no, definitely not. If you intend to visit Canada and your country is on the visa-exempt list, you only have to apply for an eTA. Otherwise, you should only apply for a visa.

Which of the two you require will depend on the following:

  • the kind of travel document you are travelling with.
  • by which country this travel document has been issued.
  • how you will be travelling to Canada.
  • your nationality.

Before applying, answer a couple of questions to determine whether you will need an eTA or a visa to visit Canada.

If you have already been issued a valid Canadian visa, there is no need to submit an eTA application as well – regardless of whether you qualify or not. You will be able to visit Canada with the visa for as long as it is valid.

If you submit an application for an initial study or work permit before you visit Canada, you will automatically be issued an eTA or visa once that study permit or work permit has been approved. You do not have to apply for an eTA or a visa, or pay any additional costs.

If the Canadian authorities issue you with a visa, it will be stuck in your passport. If they issue you with an eTA, the letter of introduction that you get when your work or study permit has been approved will mention your eTA number. Make sure to hold on to this number in case you ever have to contact them about your approved eTA in the future.

A friend or family member needs help applying for a Canadian eTA or visa. How can I do that?

The type of help your family member or friend needs will depend on the following:

  • his or her nationality.
  • the country by which their passport or other travel document was issued.
  • what type of travel document he or she will be travelling with.
  • how they intend to arrive in Canada. (plane, ship, car, rail, etc.)

Start by finding out what type of travel document they are going to need. If their country is not part of the eTA program, they will have to apply for a visa. You can help by providing them with a letter of invitation to support their application for a visa. This will not ensure that the visa application will be successful, but it will certainly help.

What exactly is permitted, and what can I not do with a Canadian eTA?

The first use that comes to mind for a Canadian eTA is entering that country as a tourist. An eTA is, however, also suitable for a couple of other purposes. It will, e.g. also enable you to visit friends and family members in Canada.

You are also allowed to pursue a couple of professional activities but only to a limited extent. You can, e.g. attend a trade fair, conference, or meeting – provided that you do not carry out any work as such.

An eTA can also be used to get training or study in Canada, provided that none of these activities exceed six months.

If your studies or work-related activities will go on for more than six months, you have to apply for a study permit or work permit.

Note: This has to be done before you arrive in Canada.

If you plan to do off-campus work while studying in Canada, or you want to work for a Canadian company, you have no other option than to apply for a work permit. You are, however, allowed to carry out on-campus work for a relatively short period.

For how long does an approved eTA allow me to remain in Canada?

A Canadian eTA is only valid for periods of six months or less at a time. It can, however, be used for more than one 6-month trip to that country over a period of 5 years. This comes with a major proviso: your passport should not expire during the 5 years. The moment you get a new passport, you will also have to apply for a new eTA.